A projector is an electronic device that is capable of connecting to a device, be it a computer or smartphone or any other video device and projecting the video output onto a screen or wall. Most projectors can be either fixed onto the ceiling, placed on a stand or can even be portable.
These projectors are used in various situations like office training or presentation sessions, classroom teaching and home cinemas, with the later, the more popular choice. With more people opting to build their home theatre system and going for the best projector under 400, the demand for projectors has significantly risen over the years.
With the rise in demand, manufacturers have also been increased to the challenge of innovating and producing more projectors. Here is the reason why there are a lot of projectors out in the market today making the market more saturated, which in turn, make it harder for consumers to buy the right one.
The best projector under 400 should have the right amount of lumens, color space, contrast ratio and native resolution. These are the most common features that you need to watch out for when choosing the best projector for your home theatre system.
That’s we’ve put together a list of the best projectors under $400. So if you are in the hunt for a great projector, read on to make your quest a whole lot easier.
Best Projector Under $400
The Best Projectors Under $400 Comparison Table
Projector under $400 have some limitations:
- The wireless and Bluetooth range are limited
- Projectors are not water resistant so keep them away from water
Best Projector Under $400: Top Choices
1. ViewSonic PA503W 3600 Lumens WXGA HDMI Projector Review
The ViewSonic PA503W 3600 Lumens WXGA HDMI is a cut above the rest. This intuitive and user-friendly projector is a staple for home theatre enthusiasts mainly because of its advanced audiovisual features, flexible connectivity options and best of all, an affordable price. This projector is packed with 3,600 lumens and a high contrast ratio which allows it to produce bright images in nearly any environment, be it indoors or outdoors. It also has SuperEco mode which will enable users to dim the projection brightness by up to 70%, which reduces the lamp’s power consumption which makes it a long-term investment.
- Native Resolution: WXGA 1280×800
- Lumens: 3600
- Projection Size: 120 inches
- Projection Distance: 15-feet 8-inches
- Lamp Life: 15,000 hours
- Input Options: HDMI/VGA/Composite Video
- Product Dimensions: 4.3 x 11.6 x 8.6 inches
- Weight: 4.89 pounds
- Connectivity Support: PCs, Macs, Mobile Devices and Almost all media players with HDMI or VGA option
- 1 PA503W WXGA Projector
- 1 Power Cable
- 1 VGA Cable
- 1 Remote Control
2. WOWOTO H8 Video Projector DLP LED 1280×800 WXGA WiFi Bluetooth Projector Review
The WOWOTO H8 Video Projector DLP LED is another excellent projector under $400. Made by one of the oldest and largest market shares of DLP mini projector technology solutions providers in the world, the WOWOTO H8 Video Projector DLP LED has a built-in Android system and speaker unique to other projectors in the market today. It provides visible images as well as excellent quality audio. Not only that, you can use it for PPT/Word/Excel and business presentations which is a big bonus. It’s not just a home theatre gem, but it can be used for work too!
- Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
- Native Resolution: 1280×800
- Supported Resolution: 1080p input and 3D
- USB Note: 32GB is the Max USB memory H8 can accept
- Bluetooth: BT4.0 (BT speaker & mouse/keyboard)
- Wireless Sharing: Airplay/Miracast/DLNA/Ushare
- Input port: HDMI/AV/USB2.0*1/USB3.0*1/ Mirco SD/RJ45
- Output port: 3.5mm audio jack
- Power consumption: 26W
- Touch panel: Yes
- Size: 153x120x31 mm
- 1 WOWOTO H8 Projector
- 1 Remote
- 1 Adapter
- 1 AC Cable
- 1 HDMI Cable
- 1 3 in 1 AV Cable
- 1 Quick User Manual
- 1 Kickstand
3. Epson VS240 SVGA 3LCD Projector 3000 Lumens Color Brightness Review
Manufactured by Epson, one of the leading manufacturers of digital devices, the Epson VS240 SVGA 3LCD Projector is the most affordable portable projector with business features. A great addition to your home theatre system or in your conference room, this projector produces sharp quality images which are the trademark of all Epson projectors.
This portable and lightweight projector is easy to setup which makes it a great traveling companion. The best thing about the Epson VS240 SVGA 3LCD Projector is that you can project a huge image on the wall and that gives you that movie theatre experience because the colours are incredibly true and accurate and it is superbly bright. It is the perfect addition to your home entertainment needs.
- Native Resolution: 800 x 600
- Projection System: 3LCD, 3-chip technology
- Colour Brightness: 3000 Lumens
- White Brightness: 3000 Lumens
- Lamp Life: 5,000 hours
- Connectivity: HDMI
- 1 Epson VS240 Multimedia Projector
- 1 Power cord
- 1 Computer cable (VGA)
- 1 Projector remote control
- 1 User manual CD
- 1 Projector software CD
- 1 Quick Setup Sheet
4. AAXA P300 Pico Projector – Native HD resolution with 500 LED lumens Review
If you want a real “pocket projector”, then the AAXA P300 Pico Projector is your best choice. This projector is less than 5.9 inches long, 3.9 inches wide and 1.6 inches tall. It is to be both compact and energy efficient. It consumes less than 25W when plugged in.
AAXA P300 has a built-in rechargeable premium grade 60-minute lithium ion battery that can withstand multiple charge-cycles with minimal capacity reduction.
Considered as a complete all-in-one system for the discerning mobile professional that comfortably fits in a purse, briefcase, or laptop bag, the AAXA P300 Pico Projector is a brilliant turbocharged optical engine that delivers 120-inch projections. It is the perfect companion for both adults and children.
- Max Resolution: 1920×1080 (1080P)
- Native Resolution: 1280×800 (WXGA)
- Max Brightness (DC): 500 Lumens
- Max Brightness (Battery): 200 Lumens
- Contrast Ratio: 2000:1
- Projection Lens: Manual Focus
- Projection Image: Available Size 10-120 inches
- Lamp: Triple RGB LEDs with Vibrant Color Technology
- Lamp Life: 20,000hrs
- Projection Angle: 39.3° x 24°
- Video In: HDMI, VGA (mini-VGA), Composite A/V (3.5mm Jack)
- Audio Out: 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack
- USB: 5 Pin Mini USB 2.0
5. Mini HD 3D Projector Multimedia 5.5 200 Home Video Theater Review
The Mini HD 3D Projector Multimedia is a compact and portable projector that allows you to quickly create a private cinema experience anywhere and create a romantic atmosphere anytime. It has a lot of flexibility for such a compact projector.
Mini HD 3D is designed to be user-friendly, so it’s perfect for traveling. Designed to have a built-in battery that will last you 90 minutes, you can use the projector while charging for uninterrupted viewing pleasure. The Mini HD 3D Projector Multimedia allows you to choose to stream over Miracast or Airplay without cable which is an excellent bonus.
Aside from the unique features that it provides, the Mini HD 3D Projector Multimedia also has a built-in 2-watt Stereo speaker for a healthy amount of sound, so you don’t need to worry if the volume is too low. It’s a must for anyone looking to build a home entertainment system.
- Projection Size: 5.5-200 inches
- Resolution: 1280×720 (support 1080p video)
- LED Lamp: 30,000 hours
- Contrast radio (Full on/off): 3000:1
- OS: Android 4.4.2
- Built-in Battery: 4000mAh
- Built-in Speaker: 2*2W
- Music Format: WMA,AAC
- Video Format: RM, RMVB, MKV,WMV,VOB
- Picture Format: JPEG,BMP,PNG
6. UO Smart Beam Laser, Video Projector 150 Inch Display 2 Inch CUBE Portable Mini Projector
The UO Smart Beam Laser Video Projector is a portable projector that doesn’t require focus adjustment. This focus-free feature means that projected image is never out of focus no matter what surface it is displayed on.
The laser technology makes it possible for the projector to produce vivid colors incomparable to those by other LED, LCD, and DLP projectors. It is the only right portable projector in the world that can be used anywhere without a screen.
The UO Smart Beam Laser is the world’s 1st and best laser portable projector with eye-safe class 1 laser and FDA registration. It is compatible for use with a lot of devices using Wi-Fi or cables such as Android, iOS, smartphones, tablets, laptops, computers, game consoles, media players, action cameras and a whole lot more.
- Projection Screen Size: 20-150 inches
- Ideal Projection Distance: 2-8ft
- Throw Ratio: 1.428 : 1
- Brightness: 60 ANSI to Max.100 Lumens
- Resolution: Input up to 4K and output HD 720p (1280 X 720)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9, 4:3
- Contrast Ratio: 400:1 (Television 2500:1)
- Laser Class: Class 1 Laser (Eye Safe)
- Power: USB cable, 110~220 Vac.
- Dimensions: 2.2 inch X 2.2 inch X 2.2 inch
- Weight: 0.43 Lbs. (6.88 oz.), 1.10 Lbs. w/packaging (17.6 oz.)
- Video/Audio Input: Wire (HDMI/MHL), Wireless (Smart View, Miracast, Airplay) *must be updated to the latest Firmware to connect with Airplay
- Battery Type: Rechargeable Built-in Lithium-Polymer (4200mAh)
- Battery Life: 2 hours (Requires 4 hours for full charge)
- Laser Diode Life: 10,000 hours
- Op Temp & Humidity: 10°-40°C, 15-85%
- Speaker: Built-in 1 watt
- Best Outdoor Projector Review
- Best Projector Under 500 Reviews
A projector can be an excellent addition to a home theatre set up since traditional HDTVs are limited in screen size and can be substantial, bulky and very difficult to move. Here is where projectors have the advantage.
Although it MIGHT give you some fundamental difficulties setting up and the extra costs associated with a projection-based set up can pile up, it can give you a home theatre that will be the envy of your friends and relatives. They might event frequent your house more to watch movies or catch the game(so you might want to prepare for that). So before you purchase one, figure out what your home theatre needs are and what your budget is.
The projectors listed above are a great start if you are on a tight budget. You can never go wrong with them. You might be thinking that it’s just an additional expense that you don’t need to make, but once you savor the experience that it provides, you will change your mind. It is a good investment after all.